sponsors still needed for new packages, extras not advertised on fedorawebsite?

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Fri Apr 29 13:06:49 UTC 2005

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:21:23 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:

> Hi,
>
> AFAIK sponsorship is no longer needed to get CVS access, instead one
> should go through the new webinterface, right? (I already have CVS
> access, just checking)

No.  People can sign up via the web interface, but still need a sponsor to
approve them before the system creates the account.

> What about new packages, I see a lot of review requests for new packages
> on this list without first seeing a sponsor request. So are sponsors
> still needed for new packages? Or is the idea that if someone reviews it
> and approves it that he then also automaticly sponsers it, in that case
> shouldn't: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NewPackageProcess be updated?

That page in the Wiki is under review and will change, because it is
ambiguous and confusing, both with regard to the used terminology and the
overall process. The described process was supposed to be an interim
process only anyway. Perhaps you've noticed the thread about it a few days
ago.

 * There is no such thing as a "package sponsor". We use the notion of
   "sponsoring" only for CVS access.

 * For a new package you need somebody, who _approves_ your package
   explicitly by posting a message to fedora-extras-commits list.
   Explicit approval is necessary before a new package may be built.

   It need not be your CVS account sponsor to approve your package.
   It must be somebody with Fedora Extras CVS access and, for instance,
   could also be your package co-maintainer.

   Preferably (in my point of view), the approval is posted before or
   shortly after the new package is imported into CVS, but must be posted
   before a first build is requested.

   The person, who approves your package, must be the _primary reviewer_
   of your package. There is no guarantee that other contributors comment
   on CVS commits, in particular not during times of high list traffic.

   So, the primary reviewer of your package ought to feel good about
   approving your new package and, for instance, apply security related
   checks, take a look at the licencing, and look for oddities with regard
   to current packaging policies and guidelines _prior_ to approval.

   Security related checks (upstream locations, tarball checksums, project
   status, maybe see whether the software is included in other big
   distributions) are something every package maintainer ought to be
   familiar with, as he will be responsible for the package and its
   upgrades.

   To find a primary reviewer, who volunteers to approve your package,
   post to fedora-extras-list, describe the software you packaged and
   provide a link to the src.rpm.

 * An approval notification sent to fedora-extras-commits list should
   use "Subject: APPROVED: packagename" and list the names of the person,
   who approved it and who will maintain it.