Request for review: perl-BerkeleyDB

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Aug 1 18:02:21 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 17:43 -0500, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> This is a requirement for amavisd-new:
>
>   http://ftp.kspei.com/pub/steve/rpms/perl-BerkeleyDB-0.26-1.src.rpm
>   http://ftp.kspei.com/pub/steve/rpms/perl-BerkeleyDB/

Good:

- package name obviously correct
- spec file name correct
- license correct
- tarball md5sum matches upstream
- package builds fine on FC4, and in mock for FC5
- no locale data to worry about
- no shared libraries to worry about
- no duplicate files
- clean section present and correct
- package contains code, not content
- no large documentation files
- docs don't affect running of code
- no header files, libraries or pkgconfig files to worry about
- no scriptlets or subpackages to worry about

Bad:

Package description missing. I suggest:
BerkeleyDB is a module that allows Perl programs to make use of the
facilities provided by Berkeley DB. Berkeley DB is a C library that
provides a consistent interface to a number of database formats.
BerkeleyDB provides an interface to all four of the database types
(hash, btree, queue and recno) currently
supported by Berkeley DB.

Wrong permissions on documentation. Add to %prep:
%{__chmod} -x Changes README

Optflags missing from %build:
%{__make} %{?_smp_mflags} OPTIMIZE="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS"

For discussion:

The files list results in the package owning %{perl_vendorarch}/auto;
not sure if that's a good idea. I'd be inclined to replace:
%{perl_vendorarch}/*
with:
%{perl_vendorarch}/BerkeleyDB*
%{perl_vendorarch}/auto/BerkeleyDB

Add BR: perl(Test::Pod) and perl(MLDBM) for better test coverage.

Patch to spec attached. If you apply that, I'll approve.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>