OT: Re: New package: libnjb

Linus Walleij triad at df.lth.se
Mon Aug 1 18:42:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:

> Using unnecessary variable defines annoys the crap out of me.
> IMHO, there is no reason to do any of the following:
>
> %define name    libnjb
> %define        version 2.2.1
> %define        release 1%{?dist}
>
> Name:          %{name}
> Version:       %{version}
> Release:       %{release}
>
> It's ugly, pointless, and clutters up the spec file.

The guidelines also tells that subpackages (like -devel) should have
(actually they demand epoch too):

Requires:       %{name} = %{version}-%{release}

Will using "Name:" implicitly define the macro %{name} then, so that it
can be used in "Requires:"?

Sorry if I (and many others) get things wrong, it is not always easy to
know what RPM does implicitly... %{name}-%{version}-%{release} is also
used in "BuildRoot:" in the guidelines.

Linus