Review still needed: svgalib

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Aug 3 13:13:02 UTC 2005

Hi,

Last month I requested a review of svgalib but sofar noone has
responded. I've been working together with upstream for a full month, to
get things cleaned up, 64 bit clean and doing a security review. So I
would _really_ appreciate it if someone would take the trouble to review
this new and improved version.

The svgalib package provides the SVGAlib low-level graphics library
for Linux.  SVGAlib is a library which allows applications to use full
screen graphics on a variety of hardware platforms. Some games and
utilities use SVGAlib for their graphics. For details on
supported chipsets, see man 7 svgalib (when svgalib is installed).

Changes:
* Wed Aug 3 2005 Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> 0:1.9.21-2
- I've been working with upstream to get most patches intergrated, so
   most patches are gone now.
- Reviewed and fixed the entire source tree for 64 bit cleanness.
- While working with upstream I've been busy fixing some bugs and
   improving security in nohelper mode. From now on /dev/mem gets closed
   immediatly after getchipset (vga_init) has been called. Lots of work
   has been done to keep all functionality and api & abi compatibility
   intact, even while /dev/mem is no longer available. This does however
   mean that in nohelper mode runinbackground and emulated paging (ppc or
   secondary card) are only available on 2.6 kernels now.
- Made nohelper mode configurable from the configfile, if the user wants
   he can build the kernel module from the svgalib-srcs and use this with
   the RPM packaged libs, all this has not been released by upstream yet.
   The merged   part of all this is in patch 0, patch 4 and 5 contain
   work which still needs to be merged.
- Patch6: set some sane default in the configfile
- Patch7: remove options not avaible on non-i386 from the configfile
   when building for non-i386

The srpm can be downloaded from:
http://home.zonnet.nl/jwrdegoede/svgalib-1.9.21-2.src.rpm

Thanks & Regards,