Need help for open Requests

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Aug 3 15:59:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 16:59 +0200, Jochen Schmitt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need further help to finish the folloing requests:

> Topic: New Package: highlight

Review: highlight

Good:

- rpmlint output ok
- meets naming guidelines
- license ok (GPL), text of license included, matches source
- code matches upstream
- builds fine on FC4 (x86)
- no missing BR, extra BR
- no locales
- no shared libs, headers
- not relocatable
- owns all directories it creates
- no duplicate files
- permissions ok
- %clean ok
- nothing in %doc affects runtime
- code, not content

Bad:

- Buildroot should be
%{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root-%(%{__id_u} -n)
- macro use is inconsistent (don't mix %{buildroot} and $RPM_BUILD_ROOT)
- spacing is erratic in the format, makes it a little difficult to read
- no need to check if $RPM_BUILD_ROOT exists before deleting
- compiled with hardcoded CFLAGS, ignores $RPM_OPT_FLAGS
- %files is very overcomplicated
- Don't use %{release} to mark the file name, since that will need to be
incremented to fix bugs.

I cleaned up these blockers for you. Attached to this email is a patch
to enable use of $RPM_OPT_FLAGS, and a new spec. One point of note:

If your application creates a directory structure like this:

/usr/share/foo-1.1/bar/baz/qux

And you want to own all of the files and directories in that structure,
all you need to do in %files is:

%{_datadir}/foo-1.1

This will cause all of the files and directories within that package to
be owned by that package.

If you use the new spec (and the new patch), then highlight is APPROVED.
If you've got any questions about changes I made, feel free to ask me.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!