Request for review: openvpn

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl4 at iadonisi.to
Thu Aug 4 05:40:57 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 02:57 +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

[snip]

> > The init script is eventually going to have to be dropped or
> > completely rewritten.  At some point I want openvpn to start like any
> > other network interface.
>
> Sounds like a good plan.

  I've done this with my own custom rpms for OpenVPN.  I posted them to
the openvpn-devel list, but James Yonan didn't want stuff that was too
platform specific.  (*boggle*  It could be put in a contrib dir.  No
matter...)
  There are a few problems with what I have.  One is that it has a bit
of a hack in there in that the ifcfg-tap<n> file needs both TYPE=OpenVPN
and DEVICETYPE=openvpn lines.  What's really needed is a patch to
initscripts (/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network-functions) to add
the appropriate clause to the 'case "$TYPE" in' case statement.
  A second problem is that it needs to be updated for any new version of
openvpn that introduces new options.  Something tells me that there's
got to be a better way.  For example, my downwrap-openvpn and
upwrap-openvpn I think are now obsoleted by new options introduced into
openvpn since I wrote them.
  It also doesn't handle options that take either zero or more arguments
very well.
  Nevertheless, these scripts could serve as a starting point.  They are
attached with a sample ifcfg-tap0.

PS: I haven't even begun to look at system-config-network ;-)

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator