Pre-Review: Asterisk

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Aug 4 09:09:32 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-02 at 08:28 -0600, Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
> When I said that getting the Zaptel kernel drivers into Linus' tree
> wasn't practical at the moment I was speaking mostly about getting the
> cooperation of the original authors (Digium, www.digium.com) in
> maintaining the drivers in the kernel tree.  There is also the matter
> of the time it would take to have the drivers reviewed by Linus, et.
> al., get into a released kernel, get the new kernel packaged up for
> Fedora, etc., etc. and I'm anxious (as I'm sure many are) to get
> Asterisk into Fedora Extras.

That was 4 months ago, and we still don't have Asterisk in Extras. :/

Why don't we import your RPMS into CVS and update them to a 1.2 release
candidate (which would actually be a snapshot from CVS at this point)?
Then we can beat them into shape from there.

> So, until such time as the Zaptel drivers get into the stock kernel, I'd
> like to have the drivers packaged separately.
>
> Also, it is true that the Zaptel drivers are not required to run
> Asterisk you lose some significant functionality, including meetme
> conferences.

Is that still true? The only thing MeetMe uses zaptel for is timing,
isn't it? Can't we just use POSIX timers or the RTC for this?

--
dwmw2