galeon orphaned (was Re: downgrading mozilla)

Alex Lancaster alexl at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Aug 9 19:50:36 UTC 2005

DC> I had the bad luck to decide to upgrade from FC3 to FC4 (via yum)
DC> at a time when galeon wasn't available.  While waiting for the
DC> blessed time at which galeon will be rebuilt, what's the best way
DC> for me to downgrade mozilla so that I can install the galeon
DC> package that is available?

DC> I tried 'rpm -ev mozilla{,-nss,-nspr}', but that triggered a
DC> dependency chain that I didn't want to work through.  I assume
DC> that almost all of those packages would be happier with the older
DC> version of mozilla, but I'm not quite sure what the approved way
DC> is to downgrade while making sure that dependencies remain
DC> satisfied.

There's no safe way of downgrading AFAIK.  apt-get can do it
(freshrpms have apt-enabled Extras repositories):

apt-get install mozilla=<version-goes-here>

But yum doesn't AFAIK.

However it appears that Dams has now dropped galeon support for Fedora
Extras, see:

http://bugzilla.redhat.com/164344

So unless somebody picks up maintainership, it looks like there will
be no more galeon in FE :-(

Any takers?  If nobody steps up I might try and negotiate my way
through the thicket of Fedora Extras paperwork/setup and become a
contributor.

Alex