multiple sub-programs, multiple licenses, one package?

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Wed Aug 24 21:52:52 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 15:22 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> I'm looking to package Debian's signing-party package for Fedora
> Extras (specifically I like caff).  signing-party contains 6 programs,
> each with their own license, either BSD or GPL.  Would Extras policy
> demand I create 6 separate packages for these?

Although I believe there is precedent for putting muliple licenses into
the License tag field.  I don't recall how it was handled/what it
applied to.  Licenses could be License A and License B, Lcense A or B,
and in this case, License A for Program A and License B for Program B.
If rpm supports subpackages with different License: tags this could
work.  Alternately: "License: GPL or BSD see COPYING.txt" with
COPYING.txt listing the licenses for the individual programs in the
package.

Not a canonical answer, just a thought of how to handle it.

-Toshio