multiple sub-programs, multiple licenses, one package?

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Thu Aug 25 10:16:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:47:19 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 15:22 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> > I'm looking to package Debian's signing-party package for Fedora
> > Extras (specifically I like caff).  signing-party contains 6 programs,
> > each with their own license, either BSD or GPL.  Would Extras policy
> > demand I create 6 separate packages for these?
>
> Nah. There are really two scenarios:
>
> A small set of binaries (I'll leave the definition of "small" up to the
> contributor and reviewer):
>
> Just put the list of binaries with their licenses in the license field,
> like:
>
> License: BSD(foo, bar)/GPL(baz)

Please, no! Maintenance overhead. Too much of a requirement for the
packager. Imagine how long that line would get if a dozen small tools were
included. The source tarball (we do ship src.rpms!) should include
details. Other packages do "License: BSD, GPL" and that is informative
enough for the binary package headers. Details as %doc or in the
src.rpm.

> The other scenario is for large packages. If you've got a LOT of content
> with varying licenses, then you should really think about splitting it
> into subpackages, with their own License: setting.

I truely hope you are kidding.