wxGTK/wxPython

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Aug 29 04:00:21 UTC 2005

Right now, wxGTK2 is orphaned, and its one major release out of date
(2.4). Since there are still programs using 2.4, I'd like to propose
that we move wxGTK2 2.4 to compat-wxGTK2 and let wxGTK2 go to 2.6.
This will also require wxPython to make the same change.

I've whipped up packages for all four, and I'd like some feedback before
I put them up for review. (Panu Matilainen is listed as the owner for
wxPython, but it doesn't look touched recently)

Packages:
http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/compat-wxGTK-2.4.2-14.src.rpm
http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/compat-wxPythonGTK2-2.4.2.4-8.src.rpm
http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/wxGTK-2.6.1-2.src.rpm
http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/wxPythonGTK2-2.6.1.0-2.src.rpm

Specs:
http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/compat-wxGTK.spec
http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/compat-wxPython.spec
http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/wxGTK.spec
http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/wxPython.spec

These packages can coexist with each other, the only catch is that apps
using the compat package need to use /usr/bin/wxgtk2-2.4-config instead
of /usr/bin/wxgtk2-config (this is now the 2.6 config name).

I've tested the 2.6 package aginst winpdb (which I have ready to go,
just pending wxPythonGTK2 = 2.6), and it works for me, and my 2.4 app
(comical) still works with the compat package.

Thanks in advance,

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!