Packaging guidelines updates

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Mon Aug 29 08:20:56 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 08:33 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:

> 2. I also proposed an addition to the PackagingGuidelines regarding
> desktop applications. Specifically, I proposed to FESCO that all
> packages containing GUI applications should also include a properly
> installed %{name}.desktop file. Ideally, this file will come from
> upstream, but if it is not included by default, the packager should add
> it as a Source#:. For the purposes of this rule, a GUI application is
> defined as anything which draws a window in X and then operates from
> within that window. If you do not feel that your GUI application needs
> a .desktop file, you need to rationalize its absense with a comment in
> the .spec file.

	Are you saying that, as a rule, all applications which display an X
window should appear in the applications menu? If so, I think that's a
little odd - there are plenty of applications out there that don't
warrant a menu entry - e.g. zenity, gnome-screenshot, xclock etc.

	Perhaps you mean that all applications should have a .desktop file
regardless of whether it should be in the menus for the purposes of
startup-notification and/or the mime system? i.e. it may have a
NoDisplay=true but should have StartupNotify=true/false or MimeType=...?

	All in all, I'm not sure I understand what we're hoping to achieve with
this.

Cheers,
Mark.