ddrescue and dd_rescue

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Wed Aug 3 20:31:26 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 22:43:50 +0200 (CEST), Andreas Thienemann wrote:

> Only question: what's the policy of fedora-extra with regard to similar
> packages? Opinions?

Very difficult to answer.  I'd say: Choose the superior one. Support the
more promising one, the more active/promising project.  _However_,
"similar packages" may imply that one has features the other one
hasn't. For instance, we have three (3!) different DDNS IP update tools in
Extras. It's hard to please the users, if one tool is missing. What
makes the case of ddrescue/dd_rescue more difficult is the almost
equal name. This creates a source of confusion.