ddrescue and dd_rescue

Andreas Thienemann andreas at bawue.net
Wed Aug 3 20:56:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> > Only question: what's the policy of fedora-extra with regard to similar
> > packages? Opinions?
> Very difficult to answer.  I'd say: Choose the superior one.
Difficult to judge.
The dd_rescue/dd_rhelp combo is the one I find most useful. dd_rescue is
fast and is quite verbose when running, which I find useful.
dd_rhelp adds the missing functionality.

ddrescue has the dd_rhelp functionality folded into a single binary, but
is a bit less flexible featurewise.

Both tools have their uses and I would be very hard pressed including one
over the other...

> What makes the case of ddrescue/dd_rescue more difficult is the almost
> equal name. This creates a source of confusion.
Yes. That is an added problem.

Steven Pritchard was kind enough to review all three packages and I'm
currently incorporating some changes with regard to conflicts and provides
tags.
So personally, I'd suggest adding all three packages to fedora-extras (or
maybe even jsut two with dd_rhelp folded into the main dd_rescue package)
and be done with the topic. Let the user choose which package he preferrs.

One strong point of fedora extra is, that we are not limited to offering
only one word processor, but can offer abiword, xword, yword and ztext at
the same time.

bye,
 andreas