Pre-Review: Asterisk

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Aug 4 09:31:23 UTC 2005

David Woodhouse wrote :

> That was 4 months ago, and we still don't have Asterisk in Extras. :/

That's probably not unrelated to the ugliness of asterisk's building (have
you looked at the Makefiles? argh! ;-)), and the below discussion too.

> > So, until such time as the Zaptel drivers get into the stock kernel, I'd
> > like to have the drivers packaged separately.
> >
> > Also, it is true that the Zaptel drivers are not required to run
> > Asterisk you lose some significant functionality, including meetme
> > conferences.
>
> Is that still true? The only thing MeetMe uses zaptel for is timing,
> isn't it? Can't we just use POSIX timers or the RTC for this?

I recall installing asterisk for a colleague, where timing was required,
but I didn't have the right version of the zaptel modules for the running
kernel. I think he was able to have asterisk use part of the USB subsystem
for timing (!?) instead... anyway, it sounded weird at the time, and still
does :-/

In case if can be useful, I have some asterisk packages too, from which
some bits and pieces could maybe be reused :
http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/rpms/asterisk/
http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/rpms/asterisk-sounds/
http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/rpms/zaptel/ (very messy...)

I really wish they'd switch to using autotools, though :-/

Matthias

Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) - Linux kernel 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4
Load : 2.16 1.79 1.14