Request for review: keychain opt-in mechanism

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Aug 4 21:00:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 17:20 +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Ok, hope to get the keychain package pushed up into Extras and from my
> work queue by this to be hopefully the last request for a review. The
> package / tool is very small and as there was already a review and
> approval I just desire mainly a critical view over the opt-in mechanism
> / profile.d scripts.
>
> http://www.uni-x.org/review/keychain.spec
> http://www.uni-x.org/review/keychain-2.5.4.1-2.src.rpm

Looks mostly good to me.  Remarks:

- 2.5.5 is out, looks like a simple tarball update wrt this package.
- keychain.pod isn't useful and should be dropped.

Take care of the above and go ahead and commit to CVS, and I'll follow
up with an approval.

The bad interaction with X login I mentioned earlier: I can no longer
reproduce it, things seem to work.  Still, two ssh-agents are started on
initial X login, but it might be tricky to avoid that, and probably
shouldn't be even attempted in the keychain package.  The culprit
appears to be "exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSH_AGENT ...""
in /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession, where the -l triggers loading of keychain
along with the shell profile, and $SSH_AGENT is then launched by the
shell later.  xinitrc-common doesn't set $SSH_AGENT if one is already
running, but that check is done too early wrt. keychain in the X
login/startup sequence.