Request for review: stripesnoop

Chris Grau chris at chrisgrau.com
Thu Aug 4 21:03:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 02:00:23PM -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> Stripe Snoop is a suite of research tools that captures, modifies,
> validates, generates, analyzes, and shares data from magstripe cards.
> Numerous readers are supported to gather this information. In addition
> to simply displaying the raw characters that are encoded on the card,
> Stripe Snoop has a database of known card formats. It uses this to give
> you more detailed information about the card.
>
> This is very small, should be an easy review.
>
> SRPM:
> http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/stripesnoop-1.5-1.src.rpm
> SPEC:
> http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/stripesnoop.spec
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> ~spot

Since you liked my review of perl-Image-ExifTool so much (and since
you're my sponsor), here's another one.

Review: stripesnoop

Good:

- package name okay
- spec file name matches %name
- meets PackagingGuidelines
- license okay (GPL), matches upstream, included in %doc
- spec is legible, in am. english
- source matches upstream
- package builds on FC4 (x86)
- no excluded BR, no missing BR
- no locales
- no shared/static libraries
- not relocatable
- owns all created directories
- no duplicate files
- file attributes okay
- %clean okay
- macro use is consistent
- code, not content
- no -docs
- -devel okay

- mod10 worked on cc# 4111-1111-1111-1111
- bitgen and ss didn't segfault or anything

Bad:

- -devel requires %{name}-%{version}-%{release}

Maybe:

mod10.c: In function 'main':
mod10.c:77: warning: ignoring return value of 'fgets', declared with
attribute warn_unused_result
mod10.c:80: warning: ignoring return value of 'fgets', declared with
attribute warn_unused_result
(as well as the same warning in ss.cpp and parser.cpp)

The compiler warnings look harmless to me.  It's just fgets() and the
string buffer appears to be handled fine.  It could be worse, the author
could have used gets(), but this isn't a code review.

Once the requires for the devel package have been fixed, I'll consider
this package approved.

-chris