Cleaning up an old spec file

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Fri Aug 5 17:42:19 UTC 2005

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 12:27:58 -0500, Quentin Spencer wrote:

> Looking at the octave spec file, which has changelog entries going back
> to 1997, there are some things that have been there for a long time
> which I'm not sure are necessary. If anyone can help me answer some of
> these questions, I'd appreciate it:
>
> 1. %define __libtoolize /bin/true
> What does this do? It seems to override an rpm macro, but I'm not sure
> why I would/wouldn't want it.

Do you run the %__libtoolize or the %GNUconfigure macro anywhere in the
spec? If not, you can drop above definition. Assigning /bin/true can only
mean that at some point in time somebody wanted it to run (and do nothing)
instead of running libtoolize. The definition is a switch. By default,
it's:

$ rpm --eval %__libtoolize
libtoolize

> 3. export LC_ALL=POSIX (right before configure)
> Why does this matter?

Depends on what the configure script does. LC_ALL=C or LC_ALL=POSIX is a
way to override locales, as may be needed to get reproducible output from
tools.