Wording of "Previously in Core" Procedure

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Sat Aug 6 02:55:37 UTC 2005

Warren Togami wrote:
> I will be adding the exception that we had been following during the
> past few months to the NewPackageProcess.  Maybe the wording will need
> to be cleaned up a bit, and I am not exactly sure where to add it to the
> current page.  Please reply with suggestions and questions.
>

> "If the package has been in a previous Fedora Core stable release but it
> has been subsequently removed, then it requires no review to be imported
> into Fedora Extras.  Existing Extras contributors may claim ownership by
> posting to fedora-extras-list with the package name in the Subject,
> importing the original RH package, then proceding to make improvements
> in CVS from that baseline."

Similar to the above policy, anybody have any opinion toward allowing
packages in FC development into Extras automatically without the review
& approval requirement?

Restrictions:
1) an existing cvsextras member wishes to maintain it in Extras
2) the core maintainer wishes to maintain it in Extras for older distros
3) Or the core maintainer agrees to co-maintain it with the Extras
developer (ask me to set auto-CC in Bugzilla for the component)

The only drawback here is if the new FC package has horrendously
packaged, then we would have a horrendous package in Extras.  I think
perhaps the early exposure of the package being closer to the users and
easier to make revisions would be beneficial to the quality of the FC
devel package.  Release early, release often.

Any thoughts or concerns?

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com