Wording of "Previously in Core" Procedure

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Aug 6 03:16:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 16:55 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> Warren Togami wrote:
> > I will be adding the exception that we had been following during the
> > past few months to the NewPackageProcess.  Maybe the wording will need
> > to be cleaned up a bit, and I am not exactly sure where to add it to the
> > current page.  Please reply with suggestions and questions.
> >

> > "If the package has been in a previous Fedora Core stable release but it
> > has been subsequently removed, then it requires no review to be imported
> > into Fedora Extras.  Existing Extras contributors may claim ownership by
> > posting to fedora-extras-list with the package name in the Subject,
> > importing the original RH package, then proceding to make improvements
> > in CVS from that baseline."
> >

> Similar to the above policy, anybody have any opinion toward allowing
> packages in FC development into Extras automatically without the review
> & approval requirement?
Yes, I am opposed to it, because

* Packages formerly having been part of Core can, at least to some
extend, be trusted, because they had been exposed to "testing by the
masses" and to RH QA. - This doesn't necessarily apply to packages in
rawhide.

* This could open backdoors to RH employees to push packages into
Extras. To me, FE should treat RH employees as arbitrary contributors
"which just happen to have RH email addresses".

> Restrictions:
> 1) an existing cvsextras member wishes to maintain it in Extras
> 2) the core maintainer wishes to maintain it in Extras for older distros
> 3) Or the core maintainer agrees to co-maintain it with the Extras
> developer (ask me to set auto-CC in Bugzilla for the component)
>
> The only drawback here is if the new FC package has horrendously
> packaged, then we would have a horrendous package in Extras.  I think
> perhaps the early exposure of the package being closer to the users and
> easier to make revisions would be beneficial to the quality of the FC
> devel package.  Release early, release often.
>
> Any thoughts or concerns?

C.f. above.

Ralf