mock chroot builds run as owner of /

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Mon Aug 8 19:25:59 UTC 2005

> I don't have any implicit reason to keep it that way but I kinda wonder
> - why is anything testing for ownership of / even remotely reasonable?
> Under what circumstances is that useful information rather than testing
> for ownership of a specific dir or device?

A) It doesn't matter, 'cause upstream packages do.
B) It's testing for "am I root", and "do I own /" does seem pretty
   reasonable at first blush.  As I said in the first posting, it is
   testing for being run as root so as to know whether things like file
   permission checks will behave normally.  Since the world is full of
   idiots, upstream packages do need to cope with being built as root.

Thanks,
Roland