Requesting a package, but not for review, in bugzilla?

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Aug 9 22:39:57 UTC 2005

John Mahowald wrote:
> Is there a way to request a package with the new bugzilla system but
> not providing something for review? This would make a to do list for
> packagers. Blocking FE-NEW doesn't seem like the thing to do.

It would be nice, but in reality such requests are likely to sit forever
and I would not encourage something like this.  Everyone involved in
Extras is extremely busy, so this means that packages in Extras are
there mainly because they care enough about it to want to create and
maintain the package.

So your options are either to convince an existing cvsextras packager
that your desired package is great in such a way that they desire to
maintain it, or learn packaging yourself.  The latter is always
desirable because the work needs to be more distributed in order to make
the project scale.

If you know how to use ./cofigure; make; make install, then you are
already on your way to understanding packaging.  At this point a good
way to learn packaging is to look at existing packages and reading our
packaging guidelines and processes.  The folks on this list are happy to
answer your packaging questions if you are confused by any point in
documentation.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com