Splitting automated mail from human mail?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Aug 10 15:38:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 17:46 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 13:35 -0700, Chip Turner wrote:
> > Anyone else think maybe the high flow of bugzilla and build mails
> > would be better on a separate list, so that discussion, approvals, etc
> > take place in a quieter, more filterable venue?  Or is it just me? :)
>
> Seconded. I wouldn't mind the initial "request for review" mail ending
> up on this list so interested people can CC themselves but having ALL
> the bugzilla traffic here for all the packages is a bit much.

Is it really worse than having all of the review discussion being here?
I honestly don't think so.  And I think there's a lot of value in making
the review process extremely transparent to people so that
a) They see how easy it is to review packages
b) They see things which may be useful for their packages in the future
c) They may see things where someone gets confused and says the wrong
thing by mistake.

Getting the mail on the tracker changes is most of what makes things
worse I think.  Otherwise, I really don't see a huge difference and I
think that the benefits are worth the high traffic -- it's at least
traffic with signal instead of just noise.

Jeremy