Splitting automated mail from human mail?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Aug 10 16:06:08 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 11:38 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 17:46 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 13:35 -0700, Chip Turner wrote:
> > > Anyone else think maybe the high flow of bugzilla and build mails
> > > would be better on a separate list, so that discussion, approvals, etc
> > > take place in a quieter, more filterable venue?  Or is it just me? :)
> >
> > Seconded. I wouldn't mind the initial "request for review" mail ending
> > up on this list so interested people can CC themselves but having ALL
> > the bugzilla traffic here for all the packages is a bit much.
>
> Is it really worse than having all of the review discussion being here?
> I honestly don't think so.  And I think there's a lot of value in making
> the review process extremely transparent to people so that
> a) They see how easy it is to review packages
> b) They see things which may be useful for their packages in the future
> c) They may see things where someone gets confused and says the wrong
> thing by mistake.
> Getting the mail on the tracker changes is most of what makes things
> worse I think.  Otherwise, I really don't see a huge difference and I
> think that the benefits are worth the high traffic -- it's at least
> traffic with signal instead of just noise.

Compared to the review discussion bugzilla mails:
- Have lots of non-information on top - all the "please don't respond to
this by mail" blaa and such.
- Don't have any context in them, to have the slightest clue you need to
go and read the bugzilla entry itself.
- "foo at bar.com added to CC" type of mails are rather uninteresting.

Oh well ... these are relatively minor annoyances which can be dealt
with procmail. One of my biggest irritations about these bugzilla mails
here is probably mixing "real" email discussion with non-discussion
mail, again procmail to the rescue. Having this stuff really trackable
in bugzilla IS a very good thing.

	- Panu -