Build system - why kill other arch builds?

Elliot Lee sopwith at redhat.com
Wed Aug 10 22:51:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Orion Poplawski wrote:

> Michael Schwendt wrote:
> >
> > ExcludeArch or ExclusiveArch tags can achieve that. But be aware that
> > successfully built packages would enter needsign queue and would be
> > published.
> >

> This would require many checkins and releases just to test out different
> arches.

There are two main reasons to have one failing arch kill the whole job:
	. Limited build machine resources
	. The need to avoid inconsistencies in the completed builds
	between different arches.

You are wanting to be able to ask "What architectures will my package
build on?" Although it's a theoretically valid question, the foremost
question from a package maintainer's perspective should be "What is the
next problem I need to fix?" For answering /that/ question, the current
setup is just fine.

Best,
-- Elliot
Pioneers get the Arrows. Settlers get the Land.