Extra wireless support.

Zachary Mitchell, BCIS zac.j.m at bigpond.net.au
Tue Aug 16 07:56:50 UTC 2005

I am not sure which email message list, and hence which people I should send this message to, but I would like additional wireless support (an up-to-date driver) included as part of the next release of Fedora core.

A problem exists if someone is using a very fast, bleeding edge wireless setup if all network and internet services lie purely on the other side of the wireless adapter.  Especially
if there is no linux driver for that someone's wireless card,
as part of Fedora Core on anywhere else on the internet.  Certain brands of Wireless hardware have been known to be discontinued very quickly, and so these especially get overlooked.

I have an example of one driver I would love to see included.  Ithe DLink dwl-520 rev.b card.

Go to:
http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DWL%2D520

There is a Linux driver available here, but installing it requires re-compilation of the kernel.

Which requires access to the kernel source.

Which is on the internet.

Which is on only accessible through the wireless adapter and access point.

Neither of which can yet be used.

So I suggest this, and maybe a few more drivers like this be included.
Or perhaps as well, a better more generic aproach be formulated to work with many
more wireless cards APART from using NDISWRAPPER, which can be unreliable
and lead to frequent drop-outs.

Please email me back, say what you think, or forward this on to anyone who is
in a position to see this driver and others be included in the next release of Fedora Core.

Zac.