ppc buildserver problem

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Aug 16 14:39:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 15:36 +0200, Joost van der Sluis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the ppc buildsystem fails in compiling fpc. The pre-compiled binary
> gives a segfault. I asked someone on IRC to try to build the fpc-rpm on
> a old ppc, and there it works. (He used Debian Unstable, though)
>
> Can someone give me some more information about what kind of powerpc the
> buildsystem has?

Not a PowerPC at all :)  It's got a couple of these:

cpu             : POWER5 (gr)
clock           : 1655.992000MHz

If you've got altivec or something like that compiled in, you're hosed.
What's using a precompiled binary anyway?  That seems wrong, for the
exact reasons this job failed.

In any case, this is an interesting topic, since the build machines,
while blazingly fast, don't support Altivec, which most Fedora PPC users
have.  I'm not sure how to even differentiate between those jobs needing
Altivec (so they might go to a capable machine) and those jobs not
requiring it (so they could go to the POWER5).

Dan