static lib question

Quentin Spencer qspencer at ieee.org
Fri Aug 19 14:49:31 UTC 2005

I'm still struggling with packaging ATLAS, and I'm trying first to get
the static libs working. I've run into the following problem. Compiling
a test program from Octave's configure script, I get this error:

/usr/lib/libf77blas.a(sgemm.o)(.text+0x20d): In function `sgemm_':
: undefined reference to `atl_f77wrap_sgemm_'

"nm /usr/lib/libf77blas.a | grep sgemm" reveals
ATL_F77wrap_sgemm.o:
00000000 T atl_f77wrap_sgemm__

If I go into the build directory and do the same thing to the file
before it was copied to $RPM_BUILD_ROOT, I get:
ATL_F77wrap_sgemm.o:
00000000 T atl_f77wrap_sgemm_

If I manually copy this file into /usr/lib, my test program links
correctly, but it won't work when the file is put there via an RPM
install because the symbol seems to have an extra _ character added. It
would seem that the rpmbuild process is changing the symbol in this
file. Is that possible? How can I fix this?

-Quentin