rpmlint errors

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Aug 24 14:16:16 UTC 2005

Quentin Spencer wrote:
> In the ATLAS package I'm working on, I'm getting some rpmlint errors and
> warnings in the devel package that don't make sense to me. I've put all
> of the headers in /usr/include/atlas, and they're all causing this error:
>
> E: atlas-devel script-without-shellbang /usr/include/atlas/atlas_reflvl3.h

This file is probably installed with executable permissions, and
shouldn't be.

> I have some library symlinks in /usr/lib and some in /usr/lib/atlas, but
> only the ones in /usr/lib/atlas are giving me this:
> W: atlas-devel dangling-relative-symlink /usr/lib/atlas/libblas.so
> libblas.so.3.0

What does your package put in /usr/lib/atlas?

$ rpm -qlpv atlas...rpm | fgrep /usr/lib/atlas

> Another related question--I'm using a configuration file
> /etc/ld.so.conf.d/atlas-%{arch}.conf, and rpmlint wants me to do
> %config(noreplace) in front of it. Can anyone explain what the noreplace
> does? It's not documented in the Maximum RPM doc.

It means that if a subsequent package update creates a file of that name
with different content, and the user has modified the file in the
existing package, the existing package is kept and the new file is
installed with a .rpmnew extension. Without the (noreplace), the
original file is renamed with a .rpmsave extension and the new file gets
  installed with the original name.

Paul.