multiple sub-programs, multiple licenses, one package?

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Thu Aug 25 08:11:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 09:35 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 14:52 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 15:22 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> > > I'm looking to package Debian's signing-party package for Fedora
> > > Extras (specifically I like caff).  signing-party contains 6 programs,
> > > each with their own license, either BSD or GPL.  Would Extras policy
> > > demand I create 6 separate packages for these?
> >
> > Although I believe there is precedent for putting muliple licenses into
> > the License tag field.  I don't recall how it was handled/what it
> > applied to.
>
> "Distributable" is often used to "solve" cases where it's non-trivial to
> come up with a better value for the License tag.

I'd call using "Distributable" in the case of multiple licenses
chickening out. "Read the licenses for yourself" would be more honest.
I've yet to come over something that has more than 3 licenses in one
package and I think we should mention them all in the License: field, if
needed having MANIFEST.${LICENSE} files that state what part/file is
covered by which license in the documentation.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com