lzma someone?

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Thu Aug 25 09:38:09 UTC 2005

Hello Oliver,

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 11:11 +0200, Oliver Falk wrote:
> I'm not even sure, if lzma is interessting enough for Fedora...

I'm quite sure about this. It's very useful Lempel-Ziv based compression
tool. It takes ages to compress anything with it (up to 40 times longer
compression times than gzip), but the decompression is pretty fast,
because the decompressor design is cache-friendly unlike bzip2, and
other Burrows-Wheeler sorting based compressors, that reaches good
compression ratios but both compression/decompression takes ages.

I think it's not a bad idea to include it.

Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com>, http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/