rpms/dynamite/devel dynamite.spec, NONE, 1.1 .cvsignore, 1.1, 1.2 sources, 1.1, 1.2

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Aug 25 22:04:39 UTC 2005

Michael Schwendt wrote :

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:27:18 -0400, Andreas Bierfert wrote:
>
> > Author: awjb
> >
> > Update of /cvs/extras/rpms/dynamite/devel
>
> > %package devel
> > Group:          Development/Libraries
> > Requires:       %{name} = %{version}
>
> Always exact %release here, too, so main package and -devel are
> in sync _always_, especially for changes in API, ABI, feature set
> or configuration settings.

I would tend to disagree here : A different release (almost?) never
changes API, ABI or anything that could cause trouble. I myself prefer
"%{name} = %{version}" because for someone who uses yum or similar it'll
"just work" anyway, and for the poor soul behind a 9600bps modem,
downloading the *-2 devel subpackage while still having the *-1 main
package will save precious download time before being able to recompile an
urgently needed package.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) - Linux kernel 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4
Load : 0.64 1.54 2.68