issue with make dist/cvs commit

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sat Aug 27 13:03:43 UTC 2005

> It is possible to tag the files with "cvs tag" and the right options.
> It is also possible to set the same options in an environment variable,
> where "make tag" fetches them. However (!), documenting this in a
> prominent place opens up the door for abuse and accidents.

When I do th cvs tag command by hand it fails exactly the same way. Do
you mean that the tag is somehow arbitrary and all is needed is to set
a tag and request a build corresponding with the tag? A quick look at
the code seems to be consistent with that view, as it seems that the
tag is explicitely used on the plague-client command line:
/usr/bin/plague-client build $(NAME) $(TAG) $(TARGET)

Anyway here is the full error message:

[dumas at patoune FC-4]$  make tag
cvs tag  -c pam_ssh-1_91-8_fc4
For more information on using the Fedora CVS repositories, please visit
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UsingCvs
? clog
ERROR: Tag pam_ssh-1_91-8_fc4 has been already created.
The following tags have been created so far
pam_ssh-1_91-7:devel:pertusus:1125043858
pam_ssh-1_91-8:devel:pertusus:1125090697
pam_ssh-1_91-8_fc4:FC-4:pertusus:1125092438
pam_ssh-1_91-8_fc5:devel:pertusus:1125092866
cvs tag: Pre-tag check failed
cvs [tag aborted]: correct the above errors first!
make: *** [tag] Erreur 1

When I try to get the file tagged, I get none:
[dumas at patoune FC-4]$ cvs up -r pam_ssh-1_91-8_fc4
For more information on using the Fedora CVS repositories, please visit
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UsingCvs
? clog
cvs [update aborted]: no such tag pam_ssh-1_91-8_fc4

So it seems that there is a bug somewhere of a tag being recorded even if
the files are not tagged. Maybe that comes from the fact that cvs tag
is called with -c but it triggers something on the server even when it
fails?

--
Pat