issue with make dist/cvs commit

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sun Aug 28 07:33:32 UTC 2005

On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 06:30:17PM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 8/27/05, Michael Schwendt <bugs.michael at gmx.net> wrote:
> >   1. forget to commit
> >   2. run "make tag"
> >   3. cvs commit
> >   4. run "make tag" again

Yep, that's what I got.

> Okay as long as we know when this error happens. From reading his
> posts, I get the feeling he  doesn't think he ever rand make tag in
> that branch and that he got the "unique" message on his first run of

I got that too.

> make tag.  I think there is a language barrier here that's getting in
> the way of understanding exactly what he did and when.

I'll try to be more specific. In fact I was hit by two things that may be
unrelated, or not. The second is what Michael described, so I won't restate
it. The first is what Jeff is interested in, however I can't easily reproduce
it, to reproduce it I would have to try to register a new package. I can
describe what I did, however (if I remember well)

In the devel subdirectory of my package, I did

  make tag
  make plague

Everything went smoothly, the package was tagged with tag pam_ssh-1_91-8,
and the build was enqueued and processed.
Then I went to the FC-4 directory and tried to do the same.

  cd ../FC-4
  make tag

But then I got an error about the tag having been created. I guess it was
an error message similar with the following fake error message,
reconstructed from a real error message in another context:

[dumas at patoune FC-4]$ make tag
cvs tag  -c pam_ssh-1_91-8
For more information on using the Fedora CVS repositories, please visit
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UsingCvs
ERROR: Tag pam_ssh-1_91-8 has been already created.
The following tags have been created so far
pam_ssh-1_91-7:devel:pertusus:1125043858
pam_ssh-1_91-8:devel:pertusus:1125090697
cvs tag: Pre-tag check failed
cvs [tag aborted]: correct the above errors first!
make: *** [tag] Erreur 1

If I try to apply this tag by hand on the FC-4 branch now, I get the (real)
error message:

[dumas at patoune FC-4]$ cvs tag  -c pam_ssh-1_91-8
For more information on using the Fedora CVS repositories, please visit
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UsingCvs
ERROR: The tag pam_ssh-1_91-8 is already applied on a different branch
ERROR: You can not forcibly move tags between branches
pam_ssh-1_91-7:devel:pertusus:1125043858
pam_ssh-1_91-8:devel:pertusus:1125090697
pam_ssh-1_91-8_fc4:FC-4:pertusus:1125092438
pam_ssh-1_91-8_fc5:devel:pertusus:1125092866

--
Pat