issue with make dist/cvs commit

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sun Aug 28 09:15:11 UTC 2005

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:33:32 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 06:30:17PM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On 8/27/05, Michael Schwendt <bugs.michael at gmx.net> wrote:
> > >   1. forget to commit
> > >   2. run "make tag"
> > >   3. cvs commit
> > >   4. run "make tag" again
>
> Yep, that's what I got.
>
> > Okay as long as we know when this error happens. From reading his
> > posts, I get the feeling he  doesn't think he ever rand make tag in
> > that branch and that he got the "unique" message on his first run of
>
> I got that too.
>
> > make tag.  I think there is a language barrier here that's getting in
> > the way of understanding exactly what he did and when.
>
> I'll try to be more specific. In fact I was hit by two things that may be
> unrelated, or not. The second is what Michael described, so I won't restate
> it. The first is what Jeff is interested in, however I can't easily reproduce
> it, to reproduce it I would have to try to register a new package. I can
> describe what I did, however (if I remember well)
>
> In the devel subdirectory of my package, I did
>
>   make tag
>   make plague
>
> Everything went smoothly, the package was tagged with tag pam_ssh-1_91-8,
> and the build was enqueued and processed.
> Then I went to the FC-4 directory and tried to do the same.
>
>   cd ../FC-4
>   make tag

You can't, since the devel version of your package and the FC-4 version
of the package must not be the same. The FC-4 branch was copied from
your devel branch, so before tagging it, you need to apply something
which changes the release version.

> But then I got an error about the tag having been created. I guess it was
> an error message similar with the following fake error message,
> reconstructed from a real error message in another context:
>
> [dumas at patoune FC-4]$ make tag
> cvs tag  -c pam_ssh-1_91-8
> For more information on using the Fedora CVS repositories, please visit
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UsingCvs
> ERROR: Tag pam_ssh-1_91-8 has been already created.
> The following tags have been created so far
> pam_ssh-1_91-7:devel:pertusus:1125043858
> pam_ssh-1_91-8:devel:pertusus:1125090697
> cvs tag: Pre-tag check failed
> cvs [tag aborted]: correct the above errors first!
> make: *** [tag] Erreur 1

> If I try to apply this tag by hand on the FC-4 branch now, I get the (real)
> error message:
>
> [dumas at patoune FC-4]$ cvs tag  -c pam_ssh-1_91-8

That command cannot "apply this tag by hand", because the tag is in use
already. That command is no different from what plain "make tag" does. No
surprise it fails in the same way.