Packaging guidelines updates

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Mon Aug 29 19:59:24 UTC 2005

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 17:56:33 +0100, Jose' Matos wrote:

> On Monday 29 August 2005 16:34, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> >  ImageMagick is
> > another obvious example of an application that can open X windows, but
> > does not run or interact from that window.
>
>   Actually display from ImageMagick launches a window and can be used from
> there. :-)
>
>   And I do not see it in the menu. :-)

Yeah, and gnome-screenshot (!) and xclock as mentioned by Mark McLoughlin
are other examples. However, as commented on in an older reply, all three
are just tiny tools, in particular xclock, and it would be kind of strange
to include them in the menu next to big [modern] applications or let
them compete with panel applets or built-in features ("print" key for
executing gnome-screenshot) or default apps (The Gimp for acquiring
more flexible screenshots).

And afterall, this is only about documented packaging decisions in the
spec file.