python package (smeg), x86_64 and /usr/lib64

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Aug 30 15:36:09 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 08:29 -0500, John Mahowald wrote:
> My build of smeg failed. The buildlogs complain that it can't find the
> file /usr/lib64/smeg. (%{_libdir}/smeg) That same log tells me it put
> python stuff in /usr/lib/smeg, as per the python installer. I don't
> have a 64 bit machine to test it on.

Well, first off, you probably really want to make smeg a noarch package
since it doesn't include any binaries.  Just add 'BuildArch: noarch' in
the spec file.

> Looking at installed python apps on my system I can see that most have
> a tree in /usr/share/ or are in a package in /usr/lib/python2.4
>
> Looking at the PythonPackages docs on the wiki I see some helpful
> defines but smeg seems to just dump stuff in /usr/lib/smeg.

Yeah, the upstream doesn't look like it's really doing the right thing.
Python should never just get dumped into %{_libdir}/somesomedir -- you
really want to be in the python tree (/usr/lib/python*/site-packages) or
just be in /usr/share.

Since this is just application specific bits, /usr/share probably makes
more sense.

>  Suggestions?  I may have to patch this into a new location, and use
> some sane import. Then I have to find a place for smeg.glade.

I'd just patch things to use /usr/share/smeg in the short-term and begin
a dialog with the upstream author about making the same changes.

Jeremy