Creating an SRPM with customized build option

Quentin Spencer qspencer at ieee.org
Wed Aug 31 15:56:55 UTC 2005

Hi All,
I've packaged ATLAS, a speed-optimized linear algebra library (which by
the way still needs a reviewer--see bug #166871). The package uses
compile-time optimizations to achieve a lot of the speed gains, which
creates output that is of course dependent on the hardware it was
compiled on. In order to get around this problem, I've used the Debian
patches, which use a "prerecorded build" scheme to replicate builds done
on "average" hardware that will give reasonable performance on a range
of hardware. For users who desire libraries that are truly optimized for
their hardware, the Debian package provides a means of rebuilding the
source package with the compile-time optimizations re-enabled. I'd like
to provide such a function for the SRPM I'm creating. My current
thinking is to use a macro definition to enable this so that a
customized build can be triggered using something like:

rpmbuild -rebuild atlas-<version>.src.rpm -D _custom_atlas_build=1

My question is what makes the most sense to do with the resulting
libraries? Should the customized build create an RPM by a different name
such as atlas-custom rather than atlas so it's clear that it's different
from the FE package? Should the libraries be put in a new location so
that the RPM can be installed on a system with an existing atlas package
installed? I was thinking along the lines of putting the libraries in a
special path (/usr/lib/atlas-custom, for example) and putting a file in
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/ that would make the customized libraries load
automatically. I welcome any suggestions.

-Quentin