Project Looking Glass

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Tue Dec 20 17:46:19 UTC 2005

Colin Bullock wrote:
> Hello! My name is Colin Bullock, and i'm a developer with the Project
> Looking Glass team. If you aren't familiar with it, Looking Glass is
> an open-source, 3D desktop/windowing system, based on java3d (see
> http://lg3d.dev.java.net for more info).
>
> Currently, we are working to define our requirements for our 1.0
> release, and in the process, we are looking into various distribution
> options. I use Fedora personally, and would love to see Looking Glass
> included in the extras repository. However, we wanted to put some
> feelers out, and get some feedback from the Fedora community members.
> Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, comments, etc. on the matter would
> be greatly appreciated, and i will be sure to share them all with the
> rest of the Looking Glass community (or feel free to post comments on
> the Looking Glass forums).
>
> Thanks for any input.
> - Colin Bullock

Java3D does not meet Fedora's licensing requirements and cannot be
included in Fedora Extras.  Since Project Looking Glass is dependent
upon Java3D, it also cannot go into Fedora Extras.  If Project Looking
Glass could work with the GCJ implementation in Fedora Core, then it
would be eligible for inclusion in Fedora Extras.  That said, your best
chance at a Fedora-friendly package for Project Looking Glass would
probably come from working with jpackage.org.  You could use that as a
starting point for Project Looking Glass in all RPM-based distributions,
with a little work.  I would love to see Project Looking Glass on
Fedora, but it cannot go into Fedora Extras at this time.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://www.n-man.com/