ghdl: moving libraries into their own subpackages

Thomas Sailer sailer at sailer.dynip.lugs.ch
Wed Dec 21 15:37:56 UTC 2005

I'm maintaining ghdl, a VHDL compiler based on gcc. Now I would like to
move the runtime libraries needed to link a VHDL program into an
executable into their own binary subpackage libgrt, like gcc does with
libgcc. What is the correct process to do this? Is there some review
required or can I just do it?

The reason for this is that I would like to be able to support compiling
32bit binaries on x86_64 with ghdl -m32 (like gcc...), but the FE
buildsys does not allow 32bit binaries to be built on x86_64. So the
user would have to install libgrt.x86_64 and libgrt.i386 (from the i386
build) to be able to build both 64bit and 32bit programs on amd64.

Tom