asking for review of the cernlib in devel

Jose' Matos jamatos at fc.up.pt
Fri Dec 2 13:59:11 UTC 2005

On Friday 02 December 2005 13:43, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I made a major upgrade to the cernlib package in the devel branch. The
> change are important and I think that it would be good to have a review,
> even though it isn't mandatory (and the package is allready built).
> I want to push those updates to the other branches as it fixes some
> licence issues.

  If it fix the license issues what is stopping you? :-)

  In my reviews I always favour a detailed analysis of the license. I reviewed
cernlib, there I took special care with the license and I have used debian as
a basis. Clearly some of those problems are upstream, the project declares
itself as GPL but them some parts of it have different licenses, if you can
not trust upstream for those details them we are in troubles. :-)

  I would propose you to release this new version for older Core releases and
them propose a review. Any technical problems with the package can be fixed
later. The license issue should not wait.

> So if somebody is interested, please review.
>
> There is nothing specific in the guidelines for such request, is that kind
> of message to the mailing list enough, or should I open a bugzilla entry?

  The subject is complex. One option could be the existence of troves, like
the freshmeat classification, and then each maintainer could belong to
several troves. Since each package (usually) belongs to more than one trove
this would give a set o people who are more fit to look to some of those
questions instead a relaying in an informal system like what we have now.

  I have not based this on any know system so what I am proposing could sound
archaic and too bureaucratic for the real structure of Extras. It is an
assumed risk nevertheless. :-)

--
José Abílio