Packages based on CVS sources

Wart wart at kobold.org
Fri Dec 9 17:02:07 UTC 2005

What is the policy for building packages for software that does not yet
have upstream source tarballs, but only maintains the software in CVS?

The specific case that I'm looking at is the TclPro software suite at
tclpro.sourceforge.net.  I've contacted the developers about making a
source release but haven't gotten a reply yet.

Am I allowed to pull the CVS sources and make my own source release?
Obviously, I would rather that this is all done upstream, but in case
they aren't responsive to such requests, what are my choices?

--Mike