f2c/libf2c

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Dec 20 02:16:37 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 01:04 +0000, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering packaging f2c and libf2c for extras, but have a couple
> of questions.
>
> First, neither has a configure file, just copy the makefile.u to
> makefile and alter the odd parameter inside (libf2c). Am I okay to copy
> the file from within the spec file and then run a patch against it?

I haven't seen the Makefile
It would be better imho to modify the Makefile with sed so that macros
can be used - IE

cp Makefile Makefile.orig
cat Makefile.orig |sed -e s?"^PREFIX=stuff"?"PREFIX=%{_prefix}" or
whatever.

> Second, f2c comes as a tarball. All of the files inside of the directory
> are gzipped (so it's src.tar -> src -> *.gz rather than src.tar.gz ->
> src). As long as I write a note to say this is not the original packaged
> format and make the tarball a tar.gz, would there be any problems?

Why not unzip them inside the %prep section?

> Last is the licence. There is nothing explicit in there. The one for f2c
> & libf2c reads
>
> /****************************************************************
> Copyright 1990 - 1997 by AT&T, Lucent Technologies and Bellcore.
>
> Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software
> and its documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby
> granted, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all
> copies and that both that the copyright notice and this
> permission notice and warranty disclaimer appear in supporting
> documentation, and that the names of AT&T, Bell Laboratories,
> Lucent or Bellcore or any of their entities not be used in
> advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the
> software without specific, written prior permission.
>
> AT&T, Lucent and Bellcore disclaim all warranties with regard to
> this software, including all implied warranties of
> merchantability and fitness.  In no event shall AT&T, Lucent or
> Bellcore be liable for any special, indirect or consequential
> damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use,
> data or profits, whether in an action of contract, negligence or
> other tortious action, arising out of or in connection with the
> use or performance of this software.
>
> It's hard to say what sort of licence that is - it's not GPL in name.

Not an expert - looks like MIT?

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php