Backporting packages to older distros

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Dec 21 17:25:20 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 16:19 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> >>Sounds right but with one limitation you have to keep FC-4 RPM
> >>E:NVR less or equal than the one in Core in order to avoid upgrade problems.
> >
> > Another limitation is bugzilla ownership.
>
> Would that actually be a problem?
Well, the RH bugzilla maintainers would have to answer this.

All I can say, as a user, the first problem you'd encounter is
"Which 'product' does the package belong to, "Fedora Core" or
"Fedora Extras"? I don't know if bugzilla allows the same package to be
member of the same 'product'.

Presuming this works, to whom would bugs be assigned and who is supposed
to fix them? A normal FE maintainer can't fix bugs in FC, the question
here is, whether the FC maintainer is legitimated to alter files in FE.

>  Couldn't there be a different owner
> for the Extras package and the Core package - aren't they separate
> components as far as bugzilla is concerned?
The RH bugzilla maintainer would have to answer this.

Ralf