Failed update build in devel branch

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 18:20:35 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-26 at 09:40 -0800, Jeff Carlson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This morning I finally tried to update up-imapproxy in devel.  It builds
> against OpenSSL, which is 0.9.8a in devel, and needs a rebuild in order
> to link properly.
>
> This sounds simple enough.
>
> It failed on i386.  It really looked like it succeeded on x86_64, but
> there are no packages there.  And it was canceled on ppc.  (Does a
> failure in one of the arches automatically force a cancel in the others?)
>
> I saved the build log.  I put it up on my server at
> http://www.ultimateevil.org/~jeff/Fedora/2243-up-imapproxy-1.2.4-5.fc5-i386-build.log
>
> I don't run rawhide and I'm not much of a C programmer, so I'm not sure
> how I can fix this.  Perhaps upstream needs to know there are changes
> needed to support OpenSSL 0.9.8a.
>
> Or is there an openssl097-compat package in rawhide now?  If so, do I
> just change the BR to that?  How do I find a list of what packages are
> currently available in rawhide if I'm not running it?
>
> If someone running rawhide wants to pull my spec out of CVS and give
> this a shot, I'd appreciate it.

I made the attached patch and built the package successfully with mock.
I admit I'm not much of a C programmer either -- and by "admit" I mean
"trumpet" ;-D -- but the way I figured this out was as follows, in case
it helps you get a leg up.  This will all be trivial to all the folks
around here who program in their sleep, so I apologize for boring them.

1.  The error messages say that gcc doesn't know anything about
MD5_DIGEST_LENGTH, which is probably a constant expected to be declared
in some included .h file somewhere.  I did a grep in the package source,
so I figured it must be in a system-wide include somewhere.  I decided
to start by looking at openssl.

2.  I downloaded the rawhide version of openssl, opened the package with
rpm2cpio and grep'd in the /usr/include stuff, and found it
in /usr/include/openssl/md5.h.

3.  That header is not included anywhere in any of the .c or .h files.
So I added this as an #include in imapcommon.c and generated the patch.
(I don't know if this is the best place for it, but it at least seemed
non-ugly.)

After changing the .spec file, mock built it OK!