autoreconf vs patching (Was Re: New package for review: gnome-cpufreq-applet)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Feb 13 15:49:36 UTC 2005

Am Sonntag, den 13.02.2005, 09:15 -0500 schrieb Toshio:
> On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 12:28 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > Adrian, cause there might be problems due to different autotools-
> > versions we normally (at least AFAIK) solve this not by a autoreconfig
> > in the spec file. We instead create a patch after running autoreconf -i
> > -f against an unmodified src-tree and but the patch in the spec file.
> > See sirius/sirius.spec for an example. Remember to remove the autoreconf
> > cache-dir autom4te.cache/ before diffing.
[...]
> Thorsten -- what exactly are you thinking of in terms of version
> mismatch?

Well, I have no strong option here. I only do it that way after a
discussion on IRC where someone said:

"if you find a need to update files, you should create patches for them,
and apply them in the spec file, instead of assuming whatever version of
autoconf, automake, libtool and any other macro-providing package is
going to do the right thing at any later point in time"

and I and some others agreed on that.