FE package kernel module guidelines and openafs

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Feb 24 15:56:16 UTC 2005

There'd been some discussion earlier about getting my OpenAFS packages for
Fedora into Extras. (They're at <http://www.mattdm.org/misc/openafs/>.)

The new package guidelines state:

  Also, keep in mind that kernel modules without source code, or licensed
  with anything other than GPL or LGPL licenses do not belong in Fedora Core
  or Fedora Extras.

OpenAFS is open source, using an OSI-approved license -- the IBM Public
License -- which is not GPL compatible.

Does this mean that getting OpenAFS into Extras isn't something worth even
bothering with?

  But I do not want to force it on people that arguably are _not_ doing
  derived work (it would be rather preposterous to call the Andrew
  FileSystem a "derived work" of linux, for example, so I think it's
  perfectly ok to have a AFS module, for example).

   -- Linus Torvalds
   <http://groups-beta.google.com/group/gnu.misc.discuss/msg/d5af1cc0012c3bec>

And that was before the module was actually open source. Now, it sure would
have been nice if IBM would have chosen to make the code GPL'd. But it
isn't, yet it is open source code which many people around the world rely
on.

I know there are all sorts of legal and religious issues here; mainly I want
to know: is working with Fedora Extras on this worth my time, or a waste of
it?