swsusp, thinkpad module, bootsplash

Joe Christy joe at eshu.net
Fri Feb 4 03:50:55 UTC 2005

   Vis-a-vis Kevin's note of 02/03/2005 12:56 PM:
> On Thursday 03 February 2005 23:17, Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:
>
>> ... whenever I configure bootsplash with a
>>given theme, the new kernel will simply NOT display it, no  matter what
>>I do. I've tried to do this very same procedure, with the same patches
>>and source in a Gentoo computer and userspace programs, and there was no
>>problem... WTH?!?!
>
> I guess its the udev which causes this problem, I am not too sure will like to
> investigate better this time.

	I'm quite skeptical about it being udev. udev simply manages the /dev
tree. More likely, it's something to with initrd and its contents.

> RHGB is not good enough bootsplash seems to be better, and as a user I'd like
> a choice, bootsplash better.
>
> I think as per Joe Christy it will be good to follow his work of swsusp and
> then pre-pare bootsplash patches. ...

	FWIW, swsusp2 also has the bootsplash patches, though I've never used
their capabilities. I'm not one for eye-candy so I mostly turn off rhbg
in grub.conf, and frankly, when you get to fiddling the kerneldown at
the closer-to-the-machine level that swsusp2 does, you *want* to see the
messages that rhgb/bootsplash would cover up.

	Joe

--
------------------ http://public.xdi.org/=joe.christy ------------------