My open tickets in bugzilla.fedora.us

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Feb 7 10:18:53 UTC 2005

Michael Schwendt wrote:

> The Molecular Inventor pages and licence are here:
>
> http://www.sgi.com/products/evaluation/molecular_inventor/
> http://www.sgi.com/industries/sciences/chembio/resources/molinv/molinv.html
>
> Here SGI links OpenMOIV, which means they are aware of it. However, the
> source files itself contain the LGPL header and the clause that "all other
> liences must be accepted". So, maybe there's an IANAL type of
> misunderstanding in the chosen licencing scheme by either SGI or the
> OpenMOIV authors. Whether they are permitted to apply the LGPL to their
> derived library or whether their licencing specific page
> http://www.tecn.upf.es/openMOIV/openmoiv/license.html really tries to
> restrict the LGPL is not clear. As I understand it, only to get SGI's
> original Molecular Inventor source you need to accept SGI's licence.

This is far too much uncertainty for us to just ignore.  Please prepare
an organized summary for submission to the legal queue, so they can
quickly understand the situation.  If you care about OpenMOIV going into
  Extras, you should really talk to upstream OpenMOIV about it too.

The suspect only the acceptable situation here is for OpenMOIV to be
totally and without a doubt LGPL.  But we will see.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com