New candidates for inclusion in Extras : udftools and starfighter-music

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Feb 9 10:36:55 UTC 2005

seth vidal wrote :

> Public Domain, should be legit for redistribution. But bug the
> starfighter author. See what s/he thinks.

Here is my question, and the answer I got :

--

On Monday 07 Feb 2005 16:10, you wrote:
> other: I want to package the starfighter music in an rpm for Fedora
Extras,
> but am not sure about the license it falls under, as the website seems to
> indicate that everything is covered by the GPL, but the infomation inside
> the MOD files indicate that they are public domain.

Hmmm... this is something I'm not sure on myself I'm afraid. The music is
indeed within the public domain whilst the game itself is GPL. I'm not sure

if that therefore means I cannot distribute the music with the rest of the
game, or if the authors would turn a blind eye to it.

It is a tricky one. But I haven't attempted to contact any of the
authors...
however the last time I did contact a music author I was told the music
should be distributed freely.

Too be 100% honest, I can't be sure on this matter. Sorry,

Stevie :(

--

My understanding of "Public Domain" is that you can basically do whatever
you like with whatever it is that you've got. There are no obligation of

Matthias

Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Linux kernel 2.6.10-1.760_FC3
Load : 0.12 0.20 0.25